Today's financial services are offered in many shapes and forms and by a variety of institutions, including banks, thrifts, insurance companies and securities firms. At Howard & Howard, we've assembled experts from all legal disciplines who have the sound judgment, creativity and vision to shepherd your projects from concept to completion. We work as a team – and win for you.
Our services to financial institutions include:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Capital planning
- Public and private securities offerings
- Regulatory assistance; including enforcement actions
- Strategic restructuring
- Workout, lender and environmental liability
- S corporation transactions
- "Going Private," "Going Dark" transactions
- Executive compensation and employee benefit planning
- Formation of banks, thrifts and holding companies
- Charter conversions
- Labor and employment
- Loan documentation
- Trust and investment advisory matters
- Intellectual property
- Mutual-to-stock conversions
- Mutual holding company formations
Major regional banks aren't too big for Howard & Howard's financial experts, and community banks aren't too small.
Regardless of the size of your transaction – or the complexity of the issues – we deliver high-quality, on-time work at a lower price than most law firms providing comparable services to financial institutions.
We're proud of the broad range of work we've done on behalf of our clients:
- Completed M&A transactions involving hundreds of financial institutions.
- Represented financial services clients in dozens of public and private securities offerings, including trust preferred securities.
- Assisted financial institutions in dozens of shareholder reduction transactions designed to permit the client to qualify for S corporation status or to "go private."
- Formed one of the nation’s first multi-bank holding companies in the early 1970s.
- Established one of the first securities brokerage services operated by a bank.
- Helped a client acquire one of the first bank-owned insurance agencies in the Midwest.
- Managed the consolidation of financial institutions across multiple states to achieve substantial tax savings.
- Assisted thrifts in converting from mutual to stock form and forming mutual holding companies.
- Established domestic and off-shore investment, mortgage and other operating subsidiaries to achieve tax savings.
How we work for you:
- Howard & Howard's financial services group currently has well in excess of 100 institutions as clients.
- Howard & Howard is a leader in helping financial institutions expand into non-traditional service areas.
- Howard & Howard is one of a few firms in the Midwest to offer federal and state compliance services to clients in a multi-state area.
- Our financial services attorneys regularly represent the organizers and initial boards of directors in the formation of new depository institutions and state chartered savings banks.
- Howard & Howard has more than 35 attorneys with a wide range of banking law skills devoted to our financial services clients.
- Our financial services attorneys handle clients ranging in size from $15-20 million community banks to major regional banks.
- Our financial services attorneys have participated in insurance company reorganizations, recapitalizations and restructuring, including subscription rights demutualizations and initial public offerings.
Howard & Howard's financial services attorneys approach every project with the following goals in mind:
- Facilitate client objectives.
- Find creative solutions.
- Produce top quality work, quickly.
- Help clients achieve their next level of success with maximum profitability.