Giving Back to the Community
The Howard & Howard Community Reinvestment Fund is a charitable trust, funded annually by Howard & Howard employees to benefit the communities in which Howard & Howard offices are located.
Why was it created?
Howard & Howard employees receive many benefits from the communities in which they live and work; we have the desire and responsibility to reinvest in those communities.
How does it work?
- We contribute money. The Fund is based on the concept of sharing. Employees pledge, once each year, a fixed percent of their gross compensation.
- The Kalamazoo Foundation manages the money. Contributions are deposited in the Kalamazoo Foundation which invests the money, issues receipts and distributes donations upon the request of the Howard & Howard Allocation Committee.
- The Allocation Committee distributes the money. Howard & Howard employees submit written proposals for donations to the Allocation Committee. The Committee meets once each year to consider those proposals and approve donations.[ Donation Criteria ]
Have We Made a Difference?
Yes, we have made a difference in our communities. Since its creation in 1985, through 2010, the Howard & Howard Community Reinvestment Fund has contributed over $3.0 million to support United Way, education and community enrichment.
The Howard & Howard fund works closely with educational institutions located in our communities to provide scholarships for students who need or merit assistance. Howard & Howard has provided scholarships or grants connected with several institutions as shown on our recipients list above.
Every year Howard & Howard receives a "Fair Share" award from the United Way Agency in each community in which our offices are located.
Howard & Howard employees have also invested in recreational and cultural activities in their communities. They regularly support children's concerts by local symphony societies, music and art lessons through arts councils and centers, bilingual programs and recreational activities through local public schools and youth programs.
Public Service and Community Involvement
Howard & Howard employees don't simply write checks to discharge community responsibilities. They give time, energy and expertise to organizations which contribute to their communities. Howard & Howard employees are active in a broad array of community organizations.
Can we do more?
We can contribute more money.
We set our annual goals based on Howard & Howard employee compensation so that the Fund grows as Howard & Howard grows.
We can contribute more time.
We continue to extend our culture of service to our communities by continuing to serve organizations we have historically served, seeking new and innovative approaches to solving community problems and introducing our colleagues to institutions which may need their volunteer services.
The H&H Difference
Below are some of the organizations, educational institutions and agencies to which Howard & Howard employees have contributed:
- 1000 Friends of Metropolitan Detroit
- Access to Justice Fund
- Advent House Ministries, Inc.
- Beaumont William Hospital Cancer Treatment Center
- Boarshead Michigan Public Theatre [ All Recipients ]